"Brother" Nathanael Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Re: "Brother" Nathanael Kapner and True Orthodoxy?

Post by Justice »

The video's called "Why don't the Rabbi's believe Jesus?" in which he talks about his mother taking him to a Hasidic rabbi to talk him out of Christianity. He then goes on to say that the Hasidic Jews were saying that the Lubavitcher Rebbe at the time Menachim Shneirsin was the Messiah. The video can be found here:

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That doesn't sound very interesting, I think I will pass on watching it !

I wanted to give an example of how nicely Brother Nathanael did his posts on his first website, the one you inquired what it was like.

Here is a sample page from January 26, 2007.

-- illustration of the RTOC Synod at the top --

-January 25, 2007: RTOC ARCHBISHOP TIKHON COMING TONITE TO AMERICA ! + CHURCH NEWS + has just learned that Archbishop Tikhon will be arriving tonite at 8 PM EST at Reagan National Airport in Virginia. Archbishop Tikhon will be hosted by Fr Anatoly Trepatschko of the Holy Assumption Church in Stafford Virginia from January 25-February 3 2007. Then Archbishop Tikhon will be going to California to visit Fr Vladimir Mordvinkin's parish.

#Br Nathanael : Inquirers may contact Fr Anatoly Trepatschko by either calling him directly at [...], or e-mailing him at [...]

For Fr Anatoly Trepastschko's RTOC Web Site, See: [....]
For the Russian RTOC Web Site, See: [ ...]
For the West European RTOC Web Site, See: [ ...]
For A History of the RTOC, See: [...]

+CHURCH NEWS+ Copyright 2005-2007
Brother Nathanael Kapner Reporting

Sadly, this respected TOC Priest has since reposed.

One can see how Brother Nathanael did some measure of good for the TOCs with that former site. In this case, he got the word out about the pastoral visit to the US and provided very complete contact and background information

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Again, Brother Nathanael gains publicity through T-shirts marketing his image - [ ! ]
They are available in a wide variety of colors and sizes.
Well, no matter what some may say, isn't this still better if one HAD to wear a T-shirt [ which I immensely dislike ], to wear this rather
than one of those evil looking creatures from outer space ?
The item is titled "... holding the Cross" with a capital C, which shows respect from the Australian maker of these products, one of Nathanael's supporters.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/albert ... -the-cross

Last edited by Barbara on Sun 10 September 2017 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

A t-shirt with a heretic on it? Sign me up! but in all seriousness, I'm drawn on whether he should come to True Orthodoxy. On one hand, everyone should come back to the true faith in Christ, but then again it's Brother Nathanael were talking about.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Ha ha ha ! Justice, YOU maybe could talk him into stopping his involvement with World Orthodoxy !
You are young, and as I have said elsewhere on this forum, Brother Nathanael appeals to the younger crowd with his antics -
and the fact that he is probably a youth at heart himself.

He wrote on a recent post favorably about Putin standing in front of a portrait of Tsar Nicholas II, opining monarchy can save the world. That latter part is good, but this now-longstanding admiration for Putin - ever since September 2007, I think was the year - has got to go.
Remember how he wrote to Putin asking for an invitation for himself to campaign in Moscow for his various causes ? This was before your arrival on this Forum, but some members may recall that.

Why wouldn't he advocate the return of the Monarchy alone ? He would have so much more weight with many Orthodox around the world that way.

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Barbara wrote:

Ha ha ha ! Justice, YOU maybe could talk him into stopping his involvement with World Orthodoxy !
You are young, and as I have said elsewhere on this forum, Brother Nathanael appeals to the younger crowd with his antics -
and the fact that he is probably a youth at heart himself.

He wrote on a recent post favorably about Putin and Tsar Nicholas II, saying monarchy can save the world. That latter part is good,
but this now-longstanding admiration for Putin - ever since September 2007, I think was the year - has got to go.

Why wouldn't he advocate the return of the Monarchy alone ?

I will admit he's committed to trying to be an Orthodox Christian in his own crazy way, my main concern is that he may make Traditional Orthodoxy look racist.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Well, I do recall that you came from a Jewish background, so I can therefore understand your concern.
But you have to realize he is trying to expose evildoers in the US political, social and financial scenes. That is a plus, of course.
He has probably woken up some many thousands of people during the decade elapsed between his previous website days [ anti-MP ] and today.

I think he has toned down some of the wilder aspects of his garb and clerical headgear - but he still wears too much regalia for a mere novice !
It reduces the Holy Cross to nearly costume jewelry, if you look closely at the image on the T=shirt above.
If someone could reason with him, then he would not offend people anywhere in the Orthodox spectrum, or new inquirers into Orthodoxy.
Maybe YOU could try ?

You don't have to, but you seem outgoing and curious to meet some of the prominent Orthodox personalities online. Think about it
He might listen to a kid like you, where he would brush immediately off any restraints even from clerics in his own jurisdiction. He is too stubbornly independent to be receptive to higher guidance. Surely this is why he doesn't reside in a monastery ; and indeed it's not his calling.
But obedience is ALWAYS a virtue in a monastic....