Video on Monk's Lagoon VERY OCA

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Barbara
Protoposter

Video on Monk's Lagoon VERY OCA

Post by Barbara »

On Dormition 2016, a local Alaskan TV station produced a show on Monk's Lagoon. I was curious to see footage of what St Herman of Alaska's island looks like in real life after reading so much about the Valaam monk's life in 'the New World'.

However, I have to say I was disappointed that nothing was even whispered about the existence of Rocor when the canonization of St Herman was covered in the clip. The local authority, Fr Michael Oleksa, talked solely of the OCA as if it is the only Russian jurisdiction. Neither was a tiny reference made to Archimandrite Gerasim [Schmaltz] who lived, after all, for 40 years or so at Monk's Lagoon. I guess he was considered too friendly toward Rocor and thus blocked out by the OCA clergy who dominate the TV program.

Note how the woman in charge, Rhonda McBride, stumbles when she is trying to make sense of people who dedicate a life to prayer. She tries, though, to understand St Herman, but terms him twice as "extreme", almost with a shudder.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/96617.htm