So-so documentary St Anthony of Desert, AZ

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Barbara
Protoposter

So-so documentary St Anthony of Desert, AZ

Post by Barbara »

I was curious to get a sense of the monastery for I had barely seen pictures of the premises.

This short film by the GreekReporter shows the lay of the land there : ALL cactuses, seemingly !
I never imagined that there were cactuses present, let alone so many. Of course, that was all that was there before the development of the Greek Archdiocese monastic institution.

Some of the larger non-church buildings [ cells ? offices ? ] give the impression of a contemporary luxury resort.

The film is weakened by the testimony of the same tiny group of monks. One wishes for input from many others to add more interest to the film. Apparently the choice was limited by the refusal of some of the 56 monks to be interviewed.

The viewer who already understands something about monasticism is left with a sense that more profound statements would have created a better impact.

The little documentary relies mainly on visuals.

Perhaps this production is primarily aimed at recruiting new novices from those in the world who are unfamiliar with Orthodoxy or monasticism. Also it affords the general viewer a travelogue account of a quick trip to St Anthony of the Desert in Arizona.

Isaakos
Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin- Discerning the GOC’s.

Re: So-so documentary St Anthony of Desert, AZ

Post by Isaakos »

Nah, it's not a resort, I have been there. Men are housed in the basement, men with families tend to get family housing and women and children get to stay in a house setting. It's quite beautiful when the sun is going down and you hike to the outlying churches and watch the sunset. By God's grace, one day the confusion will end for them and they will be a confessing monastery. Heresy doesn't last forever.

Blessed is the man who has volunteered to hold and keep until the end of his life our holy Orthodox faith, the faith of the one Church of Christ and our mother, the Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Archbishop Matthew Karpathakis