Has Dallas a Saint? The late Archbishop Dmitri

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Has Dallas a Saint? The late Archbishop Dmitri

Post by Cyprian »

He was a New Calendarist with the OCA, correct? I think that clearly precludes him from sainthood.

Priest Siluan
Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by Priest Siluan »

Cyprian wrote:

He was a New Calendarist with the OCA, correct? I think that clearly precludes him from sainthood.

I agree completely /\

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I'll read this article tomorrow God willing. Agree with the sentiments expressed by Fr Siluan and Cyprian.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I was a little late reading the article. It was more disappointing than I had anticipated. Why ?
This archbishop sounds like a genuinely nice man.
But DOES THAT MAKE HIM A SAINT - ??

Only 4 1/2 years since his burial. That is not much at ALL. He would have to be exhumed over some period of time.
I predict decay will have set in at some later date.

I felt immensely skeptical - and irritated - reading this.

Could the OCA be JEALOUS of Rocor's out-of-this-world holy Hierarchs and be seeking to promote one for 'herself' too ?
That is how it strikes me. Call me a cynic or over-critical, but IF archbishop Dmitri were genuinely a saint, I believe I would have felt reverence reading the article rather than an uncomfortable annoyance.

I see it's written by Rod Dreher, a prominent OCA insider reputedly. Hmm
In contrast -- quite a paucity of holy men for the compromising, spineless OCA. Why should we believe there is suddenly an authentic saint deriving from such ranks ? Difficult to believe that one. Try again, OCA chancery !

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

No, this New-Calendariste was not a Saint.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Rod Dreher is no OCA insider. He is an RC convert who has railed against the OCA hierarchy often for good reason He is however a devout follower of Abp. Dmitri. Regardless, the whole thing shows a very poor understanding of sainthood. And as aptly pointed out, for the True Orthodox it would simply not be possible for the Archbishop to be recognized as a saint, regardless of whatever redeeming personal qualities he had.