In Memory of José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming Icon

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: In Memory of José Munoz and the myrrhstreaming Icon

Post by Maria »

I have heard that the Myrrhstreaming icon is safe in an Orthodox monastery, which one, I do not know.

It is being protected.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

THAT'S excellent news ! I am really glad to hear it after all the worries about the icon's disappearance during these years.

2017 will see the 20th anniversary of Brother Jose's repose. Perhaps the Icon will be brought out for that occasion.

One would think it might have gone to Mansonville. But it sounds unlikely for Her to have been passed to the ROCiE who acquired that monastery started by Metropolitan Vitaly, and where Brother Jose spent some months when he first went to Canada.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I have "bumped" this thread because we should know about the origins of this myrrhstreaming icon and Jose Munoz who traveled the world to tell the nations about her. I was privileged to be in attendance at one of the parishes in Los Angeles when Jose came to visit bearing the icon in the year 1996 or 1997. From what I learned, that was to be his last visit to the ROCOR church on the hill in Hollywood.

We came home carrying three balls of cotton that were drenched with the blessed myrrh from this icon. As we entered our home, it smelled just like the church. For two years, we could smell the heavenly fragrance of a floral bouquet to remind us that the Theotokos was near and was protecting us.

Perhaps Our Lady was streaming myrrh to bring people to her Son, our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ. Jose died in 1997, but just ten years later in 2007, the ROCOR had joined in communion with the MP. During those ten years preceding the ROCOR-MP union, the ROCOR was in tremendous turmoil.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.