Was ecumenism a part of Church tradition?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

yeshuaisiam

Was ecumenism a part of Church tradition?

Post by yeshuaisiam »

Ecumenism and my experience with ecumenism utterly destroyed my hope in the world Orthodox Church. To see liturgies performed in tents directly after pagans amazed me (very negatively). The antimention placed on the "altar" not 60 seconds after a pagan idol was on it took my breath out of my lungs. To hear the Orthodox prayers sung not 30 seconds after the tribal dancing stopped, sunk my guts.

Was there ever an instance in Orthodoxy that the church ever participated in such things? Why would EO Christians accept such things (and bishops)?

From what I can tell of the canon of the Holy Apostles - never.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Was ecumenism a part of Church tradition?

Post by Maria »

yeshuaisiam wrote:

Ecumenism and my experience with ecumenism utterly destroyed my hope in the world Orthodox Church. To see liturgies performed in tents directly after pagans amazed me (very negatively). The antimention placed on the "altar" not 60 seconds after a pagan idol was on it took my breath out of my lungs. To hear the Orthodox prayers sung not 30 seconds after the tribal dancing stopped, sunk my guts.

Was there ever an instance in Orthodoxy that the church ever participated in such things? Why would EO Christians accept such things (and bishops)?

From what I can tell of the canon of the Holy Apostles - never.

St. John the Theologian was known as a pagan temple destroyer according to a biography of the twelve Apostles done by Holy Apostles Convent in Buena Vista, CO, 2001. After he prayed, several temples were destroyed by earthquakes.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Re: Was ecumenism a part of Church tradition?

Post by jgress »

YiA, you might find this article helpful, entitled "St Mark of Ephesus: A True Ecumenist":

http://www.roca.org/OA/26/26f.htm

Ecumenists like to say they are only engaged in dialog, but as your example, along with many others, shows, is that ecumenists are actually engaged in denying the faith. This is shown by the following:

1) The ecumenists pray with the heretics. This shows that they are treating them as part of the Church, whereas a truly Orthodox bishop would never do so.

2) The ecumenists sign common statements of faith with heretics. This shows the same thing.

The ecumenists justify both actions on the grounds that we can recognize some true commonalities of faith without compromising on our differences, but this is where they err. It is not possible to divide the Truth into parts and agree on a lowest common denominator. The Truth is a single whole. If you do not affirm ALL of Orthodoxy, you affirm none of it.