World Orthodoxy and the Name-Worshiping Heresy

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: World Orthodoxy and the Name-Worshipping Heresy

Post by Maria »

Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

Sophrony was a disciple of Sergius Boulgakov (+1944) from the so called "Parisian School". I shouldn't wonder he was indeed a Name-Worshipper. Boulgakov was very favourable to the Name-Whippers. There is also favourable statement of Boulgakov about the Name-Worshipping. No wonder.

Sophrony was also a disciple of St. Silouan of Mt. Athos. I have never heard that he was a disciple of Boulgakov, but that is not surprising. It is sad that St. Silouan did not have more of an influence on him than his apparently later contacts with Boulgakov.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Hilarion Alfejev from the Sergianiste Renovatist Ecumenistic so called "Moscow Patriarchate" is very favorable for the Name-Worshippers.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Archimandrite :
He is ?? I didn't know that ! How did you learn, or is it common knowledge ?

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

About the Sergianiste Hilarion Alfeyev you must read his books in French language: La mystère de l'Eglise: introduction à l'histoire et à la problematique des débats athonites sur la vénération du nom de Dieu, Academic Press, Fribourg/Suisse, 2007, et l'autre: Le Nom grand et glorieux. La vénération du nom de Dieu et la prère de Jésus dans la tradition orthodoxe, Cerf, Paris, 2007. Maybe you can find also a translation into English language.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

About the Sergianiste Hilarion Alfeyev you must read his books in French language: La mystère de l'Eglise: introduction à l'histoire et à la problematique des débats athonites sur la vénération du nom de Dieu, Academic Press, Fribourg/Suisse, 2007, et l'autre: Le Nom grand et glorieux. La vénération du nom de Dieu et la prère de Jésus dans la tradition orthodoxe, Cerf, Paris, 2007. Maybe you can find also a translation into English language.

Thank you, Arch. Nilos. I am translating from French into English only the titles of the two books written by Met. Hilarion (Alfeyev).

Jean Serge might have an opportunity to see these texts.

1. La mystère de l'Eglise: introduction à l'histoire et à la problematique des débats athonites sur la vénération du nom de Dieu, Academic Press, Fribourg/Suisse,
    translation: The Mystery of the Church: An Introduction to the History and the Problematical Athonite Debates Concerning the Veneration of the Name of God

2. Le Nom grand et glorieux. La vénération du nom de Dieu et la prère de Jésus dans la tradition orthodoxe, Cerf, Paris, 2007. Maybe you can find also a translation into English language.
    translation: The Great and Glorious Name: The Veneration of the Name of God and the Jesus Prayer in the Orthodox Tradition.

Earlier, someone posted a link to a conference that was recently held in Italy where Met. Hiliarion gave a presentation supporting Name-Worshiping. Thus, it is not surprising at all that certain OCA, ROCOR, and MP hierarchs and clergy are avid Name-Worshipers.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Name Worshipping Alert

Post by Barbara »

Anyone know how this came about that St Anthony's, a famous monastery in America now,
was formerly in Rocor but somehow changed to Greek Archdiocese ?
I had no idea.
In the era when everyone was going there and raving about it, it was in GOA.
So I never heard of its origin in Rocor. Details, Maria or any other members ?

About Fr Sophrony, we discussed him elsewhere. Isn't it only the EP that will canonize him, fairly soon ?
Anyone know about that ? Is it taking place in the UK ? Ugh...

Maria
Archon

Re: Name Worshipping Alert

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Anyone know how this came about that St Anthony's, a famous monastery in America now,
was formerly in Rocor but somehow changed to Greek Archdiocese ?
I had no idea.
In the era when everyone was going there and raving about it, it was in GOA.
So I never heard of its origin in Rocor. Details, Maria or any other members ?

About Fr Sophrony, we discussed him elsewhere. Isn't it only the EP that will canonize him, fairly soon ?
Anyone know about that ? Is it taking place in the UK ? Ugh...

The GOA Monastery in Arizona was established when Elder Ephraim was in the GOA.
Some years prior to that he had been in the ROCOR.