Rocor-Mp celebrates St Xenia 35 th Anniversary

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Barbara
Protoposter

Rocor-Mp celebrates St Xenia 35 th Anniversary

Post by Barbara »

of her Canonization by Metropolitan Philaret, calling him - the first time I have noticed this, though I could have missed it -
"of blessed memory".
If so, that is a hint they are considering to glorify the greatest of the great Rocor Metropolitans !

I had noticed the 35 th anniversary would fall this year. Am glad to see that it was suitably observed in the Cathedral
where the Glorification originally took place.
I had in mind to post the youtube 42 minute video, but am glad to see that the website did !

It is the neatest video ! So glad that someone took the film, edited it, put in the lively narrative
which is always fun to hear. The narrator's tone always resounds through my mind: [ "Blessed Xenia PeterburgSKAYA !" ]

Story here :

The 35 th Anniversary of the Canonization of St Xenia the Blessed Will Be Celebrated at the Synodal Cathedral of Our Lady “of the Sign”

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 , will mark the 35 th anniversary of the glorification of St Xenia the Blessed of St Petersburg by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. The clergymen of the Synodal Cathedral of Our Lady “of the Sign” will celebrate Divine Liturgy and perform a ceremonious moleben, as the Cathedral Choir will sing under the direction of Peter Fekula. The canonization, performed in 1978, served to spiritually bolster those who served God in the Russian diaspora as well as in the Fatherland, who all waited with trepidation for the rebirth of the Russian Church, which had brought forth an abundance of New Martyrs and Confessors in the 20 th century.

Below is a video of the glorification, which was headed by Metropolitan Philaret (Voznesensky,+1985) of blessed memory, along with the members of the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia and a large gathering of clergymen and worshipers:

http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/syn ... nia35.html

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Rocor-Mp celebrates St Xenia 35 th Anniversary

Post by Maria »

The ROCOR and the OCA tend to refer to anyone who has died in the Church (or fallen asleep in Christ) as "of blessed memory."
It is taken from the funeral service: "Memory eternal."

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

I have heard talk of canonizing him among ROCOR-MP members. I'd be curious to see how they write out his opposition to the MP, but I suppose it can be done, since they've rewritten so much else.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Hasn't Met. Philaret been canonized by the True Orthodox?

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Maria wrote:

Hasn't Met. Philaret been canonized by the True Orthodox?

Yes, he has! So we should really be talking about St Philaret (pray for us!).

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

That's good to hear that there IS talk amongst RocorMP people of a glorification.
I hope they really push through with it.

I noticed even at this announcement of the special services, there was a large picture of
Fr S. Gan's St Seraphim church in Sea Cliff "glorifying" Alexei II and Met Laurus. Glorifying used here
in the traditional sense of the word.
So I wondered whether it was risky to post such a reminder about the arch-enemy of Communism.
If so, I applaud that and hope there will be much more in the future.
So far, the RocorMp website has been suspiciously silent. Recall how Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow did not even
LIST Archimandrite Philaret amongst the clergy of Harbin to be commemorated on the Patriarch's recent visit.
Shameful.

Meanwhile, if any Russian speakers or armchair travelers would be curious to see the shrine of Blessed Xenia,
I found this video, quite long. I didn't watch all, but refresehed my memory of her tomb in St Petersburg.
When seeing the footage of the pilgrims kissing the wall of her shrine, I remembered that rather distinctive feature.
I don't remember WHY, but it's a tradition there to kiss the one particular wall which corresponds perhaps to the
head end of the tomb ?

Anyway if in the mood to take a little trip, then at least skim through this :

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Well, Rocor-MP didn't observe the occasion this year of the 40th anniversary - 1978 - 2018. They were busy in England, it looks like, from their website.

I forgot to post this yesterday, Sept 24, but it has been 40 years since Metropolitan Philaret presided at that epic glorification service.